Friday, January 21, 2005

Who pisses off conservative groups where ever they may be?

I consider myself to be quite conservative. My wife, is often supprised by how conservative I have become. When we started dating I was a raving liberal, she was the conservative. While her attitudes haven't changed, our roles have. Anyway, despite my conservativism, I have to slap my head an groan when I read things like this. Several conservative groups, including Dr. James Dobson's Focus on the Family have taken aim at a "tolerance" video which is being mailed out to hundreds of schools.

Now I have a problem with public schools pushing tolerance of behaviors which are patently illegal or immoral, but that is not what has Dr. Dobson and other's ticked off. It is the appearance of Sponge Bob Square Pants among several other cartoon characters and celebrities. Apparently, Sponge Bob, as he is called by his friends, is quite the favorite of gay men. This is apparently due to the fact that Sponge Bob holds hands with his best friend Patrick the Starfish. Don't ask me, I don't get it anymore than the whole Tinky Winky thing from the '90s.

Anyway, Dr. Dobson believes that the inclusion of Sponge Bob is meant to be some kind of symbolic gay icon to convert children in to raving homosexuals, or something. Again, I don't get it.

I would rather that we dispel the myth that "tolerance" means we are supposed to be friendly to islamofascist terrorists who enjoy sawing people's heads off while chanting "death to America." By focusing on some perceived subcontextual message represented by a cartoon character, we seem to be missing the point. I am thinking the hysteria about Sponge Bob may have more to say about us, than the folks pushing "tolerance."