Sunday, February 06, 2005

Do The Marines Tell You How To Do Your Job?

Granted, it is 'politically incorrect'...

Yeah, there's a little bit of Colonel Kilgore (Apocalypse Now) to his words, and Lt. Gen. James Mattis is probably in for some heavy-duty 'sensitivity' training ("you think Guadalcanal was bad, jarhead?"), but what exactly is the fuss about? He likes to shoot bad guys. And, believe it or not, the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Baathist insurgents, and foreign jihadists are 'bad guys'. Among the things the Taliban advocated were stuffing women into burkas, outlawing kites, pulling walls down on homosexuals, and using soccer stadiums for public executions instead of soccer. So why not shoot them? This is why we send Marines into places such as Afghanistan, folks, and not the Emotive Talk Show Host Rapid Deployment Force.

Additional Comments from Cracka Jack... (Date Changed to Keep it up on the board.)

My first exposure to this story was a lead-in on Fox News. The announcer said something to the effect of "Marine General makes politically incorrect statement to the press..." which was followed by this sound bite.

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

My first reaction? Ooooh Rah!

Ok, what was the politically incorrect statement? I waited for the General to say something stupid, but they cut away. C'mon people this is a Marine General here. He's not some Sunday School teacher. His job is to kill the enemies of this country. Yeah, the fact he takes some joy in it is a little creepy, but I want it that way. I want a Marine who is Gung Ho to go out and cap the bad guys. I can sleep better at night knowing there are Marines like General Mattis out there defending our boarders and my family. My hat's off to General Mattis. Next time general, don't go to a press conference in Communist Occupied California. To quote the fictional Col. Jessup from A Few Good Men:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand at post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Oooh Rah!