Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Obligatory Terri Schiavo Article

I have not commented on the Terri Schiavo case up to this point. I have been mulling it over for several weeks. However, in the end, I chose not to opine. Why, you might ask. Because the issue is not nearly as clear as either side would like to make it. Is Terri in a PVS (persistent vegetative state)? I don't know. There is evidence that she is. Then again there is compelling evidence that she isn't. The problem is that all the evidence comes from people who have a vested interest in the outcome. It comes from either the "husbands" camp, strangely supporting removal of Terri's feeding tube, or it comes from the parents, supported by the right-to-life movement which strangely supports that Terri isn't in a PVS. There has, as yet, been no independent information on this issue.

Personally, I think there is something hinkey going on. However, both sides have muddied the water so much that I seriously wonder if an accurate assessment can be made. So, I might draw the ire of my conservative pals out there by not adding my voice to the chores of howls on either side. But there it is.

Update: John Hawkins at Right Wing News has a nice 70 word summary of the issue.