Monday, December 12, 2005

I Don't Know What Victory Is but...

(Yes, I am getting to a back log of blogging that I haven't done in a few weeks.)

I guess I need to redefine what the word victory means in my vocabulary, because by Howard "Chairman Yeow" Dean's dictionary, I have the word wrong.

Saying the "idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong," Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean predicted today that the Democratic Party will come together on a proposal to withdraw National Guard and Reserve troops immediately, and all US forces within two years.

Well, if someone were to ask me if we were winning the war, I might mistakenly (according to the scream king himself) answer "yes." I would cite the fact that more Iraqis have electricity today than they did under Sadam. I would cite the fact that free elections have occurred and are continuing to occur. I would cite the fact that the three ethnic groups have, for the most part, put aside their differences and come together to write a constitution. But I guess I would be all wrong.

Now, I may not know what victory is, but I can damn sure tell you one way to lose the war. That would be to pull our troops out. If we follow Dr. Dean's prescription for the war, the U.S. would pull the bulk of our support troops out now, leaving our combat troops to do jobs they were never trained to do.

"I think we need a strategic redeployment over a period of two years," Dean said. "Bring the 80,000 National Guard and Reserve troops home immediately. They don't belong in a conflict like this anyway.

Ok Dr. Dean. Then who do you suggest should take care of the wounded? Or who should transport supplies around the country? Who should be performing the police tasks carried out by the NG MP battalions? I guess we could spare a few infantry men from fighting terrorists to handing out MREs to hungry Iraqis.

But then what happens in two years (which every terrorist will have marked on his calendar with highlighter) when the combat troops pull out? Iraq will surely descend into chaos. The left is so keen to compare Iraq to Vietnam, how-about we take a look at what happened there? The U.S. withdrew all our combat troops and in two years the North Vietnam army and the Viet Cong over ran the unprepared government forces in the South. Thousands of Vietnamese who had worked with the U.S. were murdered, thousands more fled the country in homemade rafts. Then, knowing we lacked the will to fight and prevent another massacre, Pol Pot and the Camar Rouge overthrew the government of Cambodia and murdered millions of civilians.

I may not know if we are winning now, but I know we will surely loose if we leave Iraq as it is.